Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Chicken & Chorizo Tostada

It figures that right after I told people about this blog, life would get in the way and I'd be unable to post here.  It's not that I haven't been cooking (although I haven't been cooking a lot).  It's that I've been cooking my "go to" dishes.  I've been cooking the things that require no thinking, no photography, and no writing.  
But I have returned.
There are few foods that my husband actually has on his list of loves.  But, chorizo sausage is one of them.  So, when I found this recipe in Real Simple, I was quick to put it on the list to try.
This was a tasty dish, but is definitely intended to be cooked and served immediately.  Unfortunately, I cooked it & was ready to serve it, but Berkley was not ready for bed yet, so I kept the food in the oven to stay warm, and ended up overcooking it.  The taste didn't really suffer, but it wasn't as pretty and the cheese wasn't as gooey.  
Still, the meal was a success.

CHICKEN & CHORIZO TOSTADA
1 lb. chicken cutlets (I actually used turkey & it was great)
4 Small tortillas
1 lb. Spanish chorizo, thinly sliced (I just bought a link from the butcher, and cut into slices)
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
EVOO 
salt and pepper
sour cream
fresh cilantro

Season chicken cutlets with salt & pepper
Cook cutlets in olive oil over medium-high heat until golden.
While cutlets are cooking, cook chorizo slices
Cut chicken cutlets into bite-sized pieces
(I crumbled chorizo slices into even smaller pieces after they were cooked.)
Broil 4 small tortillas until crisp.
Top tortillas with chicken, chorizo and cheddar cheese
Broil until cheese melts.
Serve with sour cream and fresh cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment