Thursday, March 4, 2010

Chicken Salad

I enjoy chicken salad, but I rarely eat it.  This is primarily because of my peanut allergy.  I know- there aren't peanuts in chicken salad, but sometimes there are other kinds of nuts and sometimes they are processed near peanuts.  
And I could die.  
Chicken salad just isn't worth it to me.  

For some reason, I always assumed chicken salad was tough to make.  Uh- it's not.
My mom's friend made some for us while I was in SC last week, so I took her lead & made some of my own.  I don't really  have a "recipe"- I just threw 3 ingredients together and voila!  
I made some last night and Stephen & I ate the entire bowl (with spoons...we were out of sandwich bread), so I made more tonight & hopefully it'll stay around so I can have some for lunch tomorrow.
CHICKEN SALAD
1 lb. chicken breasts or cutlets
5 stalks of celery (this all depends on how much celery you want...I love the stuff)
1 heaping tablespoon of mayonnaise
salt & pepper to taste

Bring a pot of water to a boil
Place chicken breasts in pot & boil for 20 minutes
Cut chicken into bite size (or smaller) pieces
Cut celery into bite size pieces
Mix chicken & celery in a bowl with a heaping spoonful of mayo (the mayo is to taste- I don't like a ton, so as to keep the chicken salad mixture on the chunky side)
Add salt & pepper to taste
 

1 comment:

  1. I make mine with granny smith apples, grapes or dried fruit instead of celery. Also, if you want it quickly, the canned chicken from Costco is SUPER yummy in chicken salad - and I don't really eat canned meat. ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete