Friday, January 14, 2011

Jambalaya

I received a crock-pot for Christmas and am excited to try out some new recipes...especially recipes with a variety of meats.  I find meat the most difficult thing to spend time cooking, so I'm hoping my crock pot will make meat a little less intimidating and time consuming for me.
I found the recipe for jambalaya at MyRecipes.com and it was quite tasty. 
SLOW-COOKER JAMBALAYA
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 lb. smoked sausage (I used a light kielbasa), cut into 2-inch slices
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
28 oz. diced tomatoes with juice
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 c. chicken broth
1 T. cajun spice mix
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 lb. peeled shrimp
1 3/4 c. rice

Combine chicken, sausage, onion, green pepper, celery, tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth, spice mix, thyme and oregano in a large (5-quart) slow cooker. 
Cook on low for 5 hours.
Add shrimp and rice; raise heat to high and cook for 30 minutes more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment