Friday, January 21, 2011

Winter Day Dinner

I got this recipe from a casserole magazine that I saw in line at the grocery store.  This recipe is on the first page, and it's very tasty.  I followed the instructions this time, although I didn't include peas as the recipe calls for.  And next time I make this, I'll use regular cheddar cheese instead of Velveeta- I'd just rather have real cheese.

WINTER DAY DINNER
1.5 lbs. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
8 medium potatoes, sliced

CHEESE SAUCE
1/4 c. butter, cubed
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 c. milk
4 oz. Velveeta, cubed

In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
In a greased baking dish, layer half of the potatoes, all of the meat mixture and remaining potatoes; set aside.
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
Gradually stir in milk.
Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened.
Stir in cheese until melted.
Pour over the potatoes.
Cover and bake at 350 for 1.5 hours or until the potatoes are tender.

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment