Thursday, January 28, 2010

Albondigas

I got this recipe from All You magazine. Albondigas is a traditional Mexican meatball soup that is not very pretty to look at, but tastes pretty good. Stephen was a fan of this meal, but there are some changes I would like to make to it next time.

ALBONDIGAS
1 lb. ground turkey (next time I might use a little less- it was a bit "meaty" for me)
1 large carrot, shredded
2/3 cup uncooked white rice (next time I might add a tad more rice)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 boxes chicken broth (I used unsalted, but will probably use regular next time)
flour or wheat tortillas

Fill a large pot with water and heat to boiling.
Combine turkey, carrot, rice, garlic powder, salt & pepper into a large bowl.
Use your fingers to mix gently but thoroughly.
Form mixture into about 16 balls (I made 16 and threw out 2- didn't have room in my pot!)
Using a spoon, place balls in boiling water.
Return water to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Drain water and return pot to stove.
Pour broth into pot with rice balls and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for another 30 minutes.
Spoon into bowls and serve with warmed tortillas on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment